Occupation: Dairy farmer
Served as a Leading Aircraftman in the RAAF during World War 2
No1 Recruitment Depot (Laverton)
S.T.T. School of Technical Training Adelaide
5 EFT Flight Maintenance- Elementary Flight School (Narromine NSW) - April 1942
Narromine Aerodrome was handed over to the RAAF in July 1940 for the establishment of No.5 Elementary Flying Training School. One of a dozen such schools around Australia forming part of the Empire Air Training Scheme, the school graduated 2,850 pilots during its four-year stay.
1ES Engineering School (Ascot Vale, Showgrounds) - Sept 1942
2 AD Aircraft Depot (Richmond) March - 1943
Base Torpedo Unit (Nowra) - Nov 1943
Over 450 students graduated as Fitter Torpedo and Aircraft Hand (Torpedo) from the base Torpedo Unit at Nowra between May 1942 and June 1944. Although aircrew training was undertaken at Nowra, it was not until June 1943 that a dedicated Operational Training Unit was formed. Three squadrons (Nos. 7, 8 and 100) were converted to torpedo bomber units, but No. 7 never flew in the role. At least 13 per cent of the 145 pilots and their crews who attended courses were subsequently posted to other than torpedo bomber units. Even where trained aircrew went to one of the two operational torpedo bombing units, only 30 per cent actually participated in one or more missions.
Nowra Classroom Base Torpedo Unit
1 ITS - Initial Training School (Somers) - Feb 1944
No 7 Aircraft Depot (Tocumwal) - April 1944
A WW2 site, established by the USAAF (who called it 'McIntyre Field') on the NSW/Victoria border (Newell Highway). Once about 25 miles square. Taken over by the RAAF in 1942, and had at one stage 4,500 RAAF persons, 400 WAAF persons, 54 Liberators, 11 Vultee Vengeances, five Kittyhawks and an Airspeed Oxford. It was also a vast storage and repair depot with aircraft such as Avro Anson, Airacobra, Beaufort, Boeing, Boomerang, Dakota, Hudson, Lancaster, Lincoln, Meteor, Mosquito, Mustang, Spitfire, Beaufighter, Vampire, Winjeel and Wirraway.
June 1945 Harry ---> Port Moresby - Madang - New Guinea
Equipped with six Sunderland flying boats 40 Squadron formed in Queensland on 31 March 1944. Initial operations saw the squadron operating between Townsville and New Guinea, ferrying supplies and passengers. In July 1944, 40 Squadron was relocated to Port Moresby, where it continued its transport duties to mainland Australia as well as other island destinations.
Initially equipped with Empire flying boats, 33 Squadron formed at Townsville in February 1942. Shortly after, the squadrons inventory was supplemented with a variety of lighter aircraft including Dragons, Ansons, Tiger Moths and Vigilants.
|Last Modified 11 Jul 2005||Created 7 Jul 2004 by EasyTree for Windows95|