1881 British Census Records indicate:
Charles was 52 years of age, was born in Farlington and worked as a general
BIOGRAPHY: 1901 Census of Southampton, RG 13 / Piece 977 / Folio 14 /Page 19.2
Civil Parish of Havant
Ecclesiastical Parish of St Faiths Havant (part of)
Urban District of Havant (part of)
Parliamentary Division of Fareham
Town of Havant (part of)
Name and Surname; Relation to Head of Family; Condition as to Marriage;Age
last Birthday; Profession or Occupation; Employer, Worker or OwnAccount; If
working at home; Where Born.
GARNETT, Mary Ann, Head, Wid, 55, Beer Retailer, Own Account, At home,Hants -
GARNETT, Mary, Daughter, Single, 17, Shop Assistant, Worker, At home,Hants -
GARNETT, Annie, Daughter, Single, 15, Shop Assistant, Worker, At home,Hants -
HOTSON, Charles, Father, Wid, 80, , , , Hants - Purbrook.
Their address was: 8 Brockhampton.
Shown on an old map by Morden 1695
- settlement, village - Portesdown Hundred - Hampshire
Period - 1690s-1720s
"FARLINGTON, a parish in the hundred of Portsdown, Fareham division of
county Hants, 4 miles W. of Havant, its post town, and 6 N.E. of Portsmouth.
It is situated on the N. shore of Langston
Harbour, in the
vicinity of Portsdown Hill, and contains the hamlet of Purbrook, with the
villages of Wheat-Lane End and Stokes. In the parish are situated the
waterworks for supply of Portsmouth.
The enclosure called Mudlands, formerly subject to inundations by the sea, is
now effectually protected. The living is a rectory*in the diocese of Winchester, value œ529.
The parish church is an ancient structure, with fine E. window and piscina.
There is also the district church
of Purhrook, a
perpetual curacy, value œ50, in the patronage of the rector. J. Deverell,
Esq., is lord of the manor." [Description(s) from The National Gazetteer
of Great Britain and Ireland
The story of Farlington water begins in 1812 when Thomas Smith built a
reservoir to hold spring water from Farlington Marshes. The Farlington
Treatment Works is owned and operated by Portsmouth Water. Pumping to the
site from Farlington began from Havant in 1860 using steam driven engines.