|Notes for James GOODING|
|2223William Charles Gooding's father, James, was born in 1817, Somerset, an English city famous for its Roman mineral baths built during the Roman occupation of England which began in the year 44 A.D. James came to Australia during 1837, but did not stay long. He soon returned to his native land where be married Marion Gooding who was born in 1816 Despite the fact that they shared the same surname before the marriage; they were not related to each other. The marriage took place 31st MAR 1840 in Meare, Somerset, England. James and Mary Ann/Mirium (Gooding) came from Westhay, ounce another little island on the Levels just half a mile from Meare|
Westhay lies to the west of Meare. It was here in 1973 that the "Sweet Track" was discovered. The track is thought to date from around 4000 BC and is the oldest man-made walkway in the world. Its original construction was of hewn timbers and ran across the Levels from the Polden Ridge to the Isle of Westhay. As the original track is not open to the public, a reconstruction of it is found at the Peat Moors Centre at The Willows, Shapwick Road, Westhay, Glastonbury.
A son John had been born to them in 1836 (aged 8 at time of immigration) at Somerset where they lived after their marriage; a second son, Thomas was born in 1843.
James turned his thoughts again to Australia where opportunity to have land of his own beckoned him. As he was a certified wool classer, his inclination was to make a living on the land.
James and his wife Marion sailed on the 'Sea Queen' a barque of 413 tons, sailed from London November 29 1943, and arrived at Port Phillip in Victoria April 15, 1844.
GOODING, James laborer Spring street, Little Scotland 1851 Geelong District Port Phillip Directory
The 'Port Phillip Gazette' on Wednesday 17 April 1844, reported the vessel's arrival in Port Phillip as follows:
The bounty emigrant ship SEA QUEEN arrived on Monday last, with 219 emigrants, under the superintendance of Dr Curtis JP, who is an old resident of this colony, having been formerly police magistrate at Wellington, in the middle district, and subsequently he had charge of the medical department at Norfolk Island. Two thirds of the emigrants are English, consisting principally of single men, of a robust and healthy appearance, the remainder are Irish, the whole of whom will, no doubt, meet with immediate arrangements, being of the class that are mostly required here.
A mutiny broke out on board the SEA QUEEN amongst the crew, when on the eve of leaving Ireland, which compelled her to put back to the Cove of Cork, where the chief mate was sentenced to six weeks imprisonment and hard labour, and the remainder of the crew to fourteen days imprisonment with the forfeiture of wages; she was also compelled to put back four times from stress of weather.
Five deaths have taken place during the passage, viz., one male adult, one female adult, and three children; there has also been an addition to the number of passengers by the birth of seven infants. Mr F. Wickham, for many years an eminent practitioner at Launceston in the legal profession, has arrived by this vessel, accompanied by his lady, with the intention of settling in this province, to practise as a barrister, having been admitted to the bar whilst in England.
A second report on the same voyage -
Emigrants on the Calcutta barque Sea Queen sailed to the Colony as part of 2000 adults being sent out by Emigration Agents Messrs Carter & Bonus of London, under a contract with Her Majesty's Colonial Land and Emigration Commissioners, at a cost of ś18-14-0 per statute adult.
The vessel made a protracted voyage to the Colony. After leaving London at the end of November she sailed for Cork, running into very stormy weather off the wild Cornish coast. After taking on Irish emigrants, the vessel set sail for Port Phillip, only to have the crew members mutiny on the first evening at sea. Putting the vessel back into the Cove of Cork, the Master firmly quelled therebellion. The First Mate was sentenced to six weeks imprisonment with hard labour, and therest of the crew t a fortnight in gaol and the forfeiture of their wages. When again ready to sail, on January 11, bad weather forced the barque back into port four times.
The 219 emigrants were very well-behaved and co-operative during the passage. Perhaps the summary justice handed out to the crew had made them cautious of committing any misdemeanor. The vessel had a comfortable height between decks, the water kept sweet, and provisions were good. While at anchor in Cork Harbour fresh supplies were brought on board daily, according to the provisions of the Emigration Charter. Although there were four deaths at sea, there was no outbreak of serious illness. THe Surgeon carried out his duties correctly, and his advice was particularly valued by his charges, for himself was an old Colonist, having lived in both Welington and on Norfolk Island.
At Port Phillip, the Immigration Board was concerned that the General Certificate from the Government Emigration Agent in London had been lost. As well, they were not happy with the baptismal and marriage certificates tendered by many immigrants, believing some to be forgeries. Some passengers had no certificates at all. One woman appeared much older than her baptismal certificate indicated. A 'strawplatter,' she was deaf and childlike, and was judged ineligible for the bounty on the grounds of her senility and trade. There were still far too many families with a number of young children arriving; it was very difficult for them to find work.
The Gooding's went work for John Clarke, of Lake Colac. James contract was for a year, at 13 pounds plus rations. Mary Ann was one of the few married women to have a separate contract. Usually wives were included in there husband's wages and terms, pay being for a married couple. She was to earn 10 pounds a year, with her rations, plus rations for the children.
Late they were to settle at Lovely Banks close to Geelong where they took up land, selling farm produce to the diggers traveling to the gold fields. Here the rest of their family of 12 was born. The complete family of James and Marion Gooding were: - John and Thomas (b) Somerset, England. Elizabeth (dec) born at Geelong, followed by Elizabeth, Mary Jane, James (dec), Sarah, James (dec) and William Charles all born at Geelong. Emma (b) at Darriwell and George (dec) and Minnie born at Geelong.
Of these 12 children 4 died in infancy and 8 survived. When the family moved from Geelong to Yinnar in 1881, only one, namely Sarah who had married D. Lynch remained living at Lovely Banks near to where her family had lived until they moved to Gippsland.
Following their arrival at Yinnar, Marion died in 1881 and was buried al the Hazelwood cemetery. Subsequently the rest of the family dispersed, continuing their various pursuits throughout Gippsland.
James married again, this time to Elisabeth Baker, and continued to live at Yinnar until he died aged 89 years and one month, on the 29th of September, 1899. Later, on October the 25th, 1899, his second wife Elizabeth also died, and was laid to rest beside James at the Hazelwood cemetery in the Church of England section.
Thomas attended the free School of the Presbyterian Church in Geelong, while helping on the farm. Later he went droving, earning enough to buy a farm in the Sale - Trafalgar district, where members of his family still reside today.
John's family prospered at Sale - Seaspray, where they owned land and do so until the present day.
Elisabeth Gooding (born 4th of May, 1849) married James Knuckey at Melbourne in 1872. A family of six was the issue - James William (1875-1878), Clara Ellen (b.1876), Thomas Grey (b. 1878), Alice Maud (1879-1880), Phil (1881) and Silvy Maud (born at Broken Hill in 1888). James Knuckey was born in Cornwall, England on the 25th of August, 1846. At about the age of 10 he arrived, in N.S.W., then when about 17, he moved to Victoria. He spent the early years of his life as a gold miner, and after the birth of his youngest child in 1888, he brought his wife and family to Tanjil South. Here they lived and farmed on what was to become John Wilson's property. James Knuckey died in 1902 at the age of 57 years. His death was hastened by miner's complaint, a condition he acquired from the many years he had spent as a gold miner in his younger days at Ballarat. He was buried at the Moe cemetery on October 7th 1902. A number of descendants of James and Elisabeth Knuckey, still live in and around the Moe area.
Mary Jane Gooding married Peter Hunter, and their family also lived at Tanjil South. (See Hunter history).
Sarah married D. Lynch and remained in the Geelong district where her family was born.
Ref. Settlers and Selectors. J. Hasthorpe & J.G. Rogers. Page 131
MEARE, a parish in the hundred of Glaston-Twelve-Hides, county Somerset, 3 miles N.W. of Glastonbury, its post town, and 3 from Shapwick. The parish, which is extensive, is situated on the river Brue, and contains the hamlets of Upper and Lower Godney, and Westhay. There are remains of a double-ditched camp, supposed to be of Danish construction. Meare was formerly surrounded by moors, or meres; hence the origin of its present name. Of late years much has been done towards the drainage of these lands, particularly in the part called Mere-Pool. This district, formerly deluged with stagnant water, is 400 acres in extent, and is now in a useful state of cultivation. There was formerly a large fishery, but the old fish-house has been allowed to decay, except a small portion of the building preserved by the Arch‘ological Society. The tithes were commuted for land under an Enclosure Act in 1779. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value ś340. The parish church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient structure, with an embattled tower containing an old clock and six bells. There is a district church at Godney, the living of which is a perpetual curacy, value ś55. Near the parish church is an ancient stone cross. There is a National school for both sexes. The Independents, Baptists, and Primitive Methodists have each a chapel. There are ruins of the old manor house." From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ¸ 2003
|Last Modified 16 Jul 2007||Created 10 Mar 2008 by EasyTree for Windows95|