|Notes for Peter KINNEAR|
|BIOGRAPHY: Peter and Janet Kinnear lived in Balmullo, Fife and worked in the mill at Guard Bridge when Grandma's (Isabella Wood Prosser - nee Hay) family left Scotland in 1912.|
At the birth of Alexander (1867), Robina (1869), Isabella (1871), Peter was noted as a Ploughman.
At the birth of Catherine (1860), Margaret (1862), Agnes Sime (1873) Peter was noted as a Farm Servant.
BURIAL: Peter and Janet are buried with their daughter Margaret (Maggie) who died in the Tay Bridge Disaster (28 Dec 1879) at Leuchars.
MARRIAGE: According to their marriage certificate, Peter was a Ploughman and Janet a Domestic Servant. Peter's residence was Servington, Parish of Kilmeany, Fife.
On Isabella's birth certificate of 1871, the marriage of Peter and Janet is listed as 24 December 1869, London (England).
The church of Logie was under the Abbey of Balmerino previous to the Reformation, and Archibald Keith, the first Protestant minister, who was appointed in 1562, had both Logie and Balmerino churches under his charge. The building had fallen into so great disrepair, that in 1590 it was deemed necessary that it should be "re-edifiet." The present church was erected in 1826
Logie parish contains the small villages of Logie and Lucklawhill Feus, and is bounded on the north by Forgan, east by Leuchars, south by Dairsie, and west by Kilmany. The extreme length of the parish is four and five-eighths miles from north-east to south-west, its breadth varying from two and a quarter miles to three quarters of a mile, with an area of 3599 acres. The parish lies between Motray burn, which forms the northern boundary, and Moonzie burn, which marks the southern limit. The surface declines on the north and south towards these streams, reaching a height of 85 feet and 180 feet above sea-level; but the ground rises towards the north-east--Forret Hill near the centre of the parish being 571 feet, and Lucklaw Hill being 626 feet, while Crumblie Hill in the north-eastern part, near the valley of Motray, is only 335 feet. By far the largest portion of the parish is under cultivation. The only occupation is agriculture. Formerly there were hand- looms giving work to a fair portion of the inhabitants, but these have quite disappeared. The following figures give the population:
1801 - 339, 1811 - 369, 1821 - 440, 1831 - 430, 1861 - 410, 1871 - 402, 1881 - 390, 1891 - 360
The name of Logie is supposed to have been derived from a Gaelic term, signifying a hollow among the hills, and this sufficiently describes the topographical situation of part of the parish
Leuchars is renowned for its long association with the Royal Air Force base and also the Church of St. Athernase which dates back to the late 12th century. The Church is one of the finest examples of Norman architecture in Britain and proudly stands on a grassy knoll overlooking the village.
Originally the Leuchars area was a vast marshland at the mouth of the River Eden. Both the Church and Leuchars Castle - which was demolished in the 1970's - occupied the higher ground and secured a vantage point over the surrounding area. Extensive land reclamation about 1800 allowed Leuchars village to expand
Earlshall Castle is situated close to the Royal Air Force base at Leuchars in Fife on the north-east coast of Scotland. It is currently lived in and the museum section is open to the public. The origin of the name could date back to the Earls of Fife.
Earlshall is slightly different from the standard L-plan tower house since it has an oval tower on one of the external angles and a stair tower in the re-entrant angle. Also wall and range form a courtyard with the main block. Construction began in 1546 by Sir William Bruce and was completed by his great-grandson of the same name in 1617. However the castle fell into disrepair and was rescued in 1891 when Sir Robert Lorimer started the restoration. His work included the addition of a gatehouse and some unusual topiary gardens which include chessmen. Lorimer also restored the 16th-century painted ceiling in the Long Gallery which depicts subjects from heraldry, history and zoology.
"Leuchars parish is 9 miles in length by 5 in breadth. It is bounded on the east by the German Ocean, and watered by the Eden on the south and south-west. The surface is level and the soil tolerably fertile. There is an extensive distillery in the parish. The village of Leuchars is pleasantly situated about a mile from the coast, and 6 from St Andrews, on the road from that town to Dundee. The majority of the inhabitants are employed in the linen manufacture. The Edinburgh & Dundee Railway passes through the parish, and there is a station in the village. The church is very ancient, and considered one of the most perfect specimens of Saxon architecture in Scotland; it is supposed to have been erected in the 12th century. There is also a free church in the parish." from Slater's Directory published 1852.
It is now privately owned and not open to the public.
|Last Modified 7 Jul 2004||Created 7 Jul 2004 by EasyTree for Windows95|