Ann Olivia Wilkinson descendents

(1777 - 1854)
(1817 - 1879)
Emma FOX
(1800 - 1883)
(1816 - 1849)

m. 7 Oct 1861, Ballarat, Victoria
George Henry MAISHMAN Ann Olivia WILKINSON
b. 1835
d. 2 Jan 1912, Bungaree, Victoria,
    aged: 77

occ. Bootmaker
b. 1846, Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
d. 1934, Elwood, Victoria, Australia,    aged: 88

occ. Domestic servant

Emma Elizabeth MAISHMAN
George Henry MAISHMAN
Frank William MAISHMAN
Amy Gertrude MAISHMAN
Frederick George MAISHMAN
Albert Allan Mardan MAISHMAN

Enormous credit to Author: Bernard Maishman
The World of Maishmans

A Brief History of Linton
Linton is situated on the Springdallah Creek, 34 kms south-west of Ballarat in the Golden Plains Shire, formerly the Shire of Grenville.  European settlement in the Linton area dates back to 1839, when Mary and Joseph Linton and their three young daughters arrived in Geelong from Scotland, and, having travelled to the district known as Wardy (or Woady) Yallock, established a pastoral run comprised of 15,000 acres which they called Emu Hill.
Aboriginal people had inhabited this country for about 30,000 years, and at the time of the Europeans arrival, it was the Carninje balug clan of the Wathawurrung tribe who lived, as they had done for thousands of years, in the country that is now occupied by Linton. European occupation of their lands irrevocably altered their way of life and their population was greatly reduced, as was the case nationwide.
Gold was discovered on the northern portion of the Emu Hill pastoral run in 1855 and within months, there were hundreds of men and women of many different nationalities there, including many Chinese, digging holes, felling trees, erecting tents, and creating a settlement where before there had just been a forest of eucalypts. This became known as ‘Linton’s Diggings’, which subsequently became ‘Old Linton’s’ when a new township was built on Surface Hill in 1860. This was the beginning of the town we know today as Linton.
Following the building of civic facilities such as a bank, courthouse, post office and churches, as well as hotels and shops, when the Shire of Grenville was proclaimed in February 1864, Linton was its municipal centre, with a new Shire Hall completed in 1865. This fact contributed to Linton’s remaining an important town in the region long after the gold ran out. Although Linton was always regarded as a steady producer of gold up to the 1880s, production declined into the twentieth century. The town’s largest ever official population was 1,969 people recorded in 1861.

The Settlement of Bungaree
Before the gold rush in 1851 large areas surrounding Ballarat were taken up as sheep and cattle runs. The gold rush saw large numbers flock to the district and many remained once the initial rush was over. Many migrants then took up small holdings as the land was fertile and yielded good crops. The Irish brought knowledge of potato farming and the rich volcanic Bungaree soil was ideal. Barley was grown to supply local distilleries. The district supplied good water, timber and stone for road building.
Bungaree was proclaimed a road district in 1863 and a Shire in 1871. By then it
had a post office, bank, 3 hotels, a church and school. The area was sometimes
called Pootilla (the cemetery at Pootilla is registered as the 'Bungaree
Cemetery'), or more commonly 'Warrenheip Junction'. This was because of the
cross roads at the corner of Ballarat - Melbourne Road and Lesters and Creswick
Road intersection. The Grand Junction Hotel was built on this intersection, as
was the Chalmers Store. Both may have been the first businesses in Bungaree.