Born Ravenscraig Villas (8-16 Hillpark Rd), Wormit.
Forgan Parish, County of Fife.
A Scottish girl who migrated to Australia when only about 15yrs with
her parents. She grew up in a classic Scottish 2 story cottage with
low small doors. As her father work on an estate, the family enjoyed
home help with domestic servants.
Wormit Farm House 2008
Wormit Farm House 2008
Wormit Farm House 1984
farmhouse and detached now (2008) largely L-plan steading. 2-storey,
3-bay, rectangular-plan farmhouse with further single storey and attic
bay and mid-later 19th century 2-stage, distinctive conical-roofed rear
tower housing rare water closet. Single storey porch with cornice and
stepped blocking course; attached ancillary structures including gabled
dairy. Whitewashed rubble and harl with droved and stugged ashlar
quoins; eaves course; some raised margins and cills; tower of harled
red brick with mutuled cornice.
symmetrical principal elevation to S with
widely-spaced bays, porch at centre with window to S and door on return
to right. Set back bay to right raised in brick with piended dormer
window. Rear elevation to N with tower breaking eaves at centre.
ANCILLARIES: small single
storey, gabled dairy projecting from rear
elevation of E wing of farmhouse with single storey piended range
immediately to E and further 4-bay piended wing at SE. Both piended
ranges with corrugated roofs.
Timber sash and case windows, predominantly 12-pane (all boarded up at
time of site visit). Graded slates to farmhouse. Ashlar coped skews,
coped ashlar gablehead stacks with polygonal cans.
INTERIOR: good interior with original room plan largely in evidence.
Low ceilings, panelled shutters, deep ingoes, simple cornices to ground
floor principal rooms. 6-panel and boarded timber doors.
Flagstones at entrance. Room to rear leads to tower press lined with
boarded timber and timber shelves. Semicircular timber stair. 1st floor
bedrooms with simple painted timber fire surrounds, one with cast iron
horseshoe fireplace, the other boarded up. Room to rear leads to tower
water closet encased in timber (possibly valve closet type) with
boarded timber interior with tiny circular earthenware washhand basin.
Kitchen with tall boarded timber dado, flagstone floor and later small
range. Leads to flagstoned dairy/larder with slate shelf and timber
shelf above and probable laundry with evidence of base of copper
BOUNDARY WALLS: to South, some remaining sections of high rubble wall
to former orchard.
STEADING: larger complex of agricultural buildings now truncated to
form predominantly L-plan survival with good cartshed and granary
CARTSHED AND GRANARY: rubble
with some tooled ashlar margins.
Some openings blocked. 4 segmental cart openings to (E) courtyard
elevation. W elevation with small eaves openings with sliding boarded
timber panels with fixed glazed panes above. Slate roof, piended to
FURTHER RANGE: wide gabled
elevation with blocked openings to courtyard
(N) elevation. S elevation set into sloping ground with gables with
loft openings flanking circa 1900 gabled projecting wing.
An important early farmhouse with an unusual tower water closet
to the rear and a good cartshed and granary range.
North East Fife has
a particularly rich arable agricultural heritage and its
post-Improvement period farms form a major part of the area's
architectural and landscape character.
Probably dating to around 1780-1800 Wormit Farmhouse survives largely
externally unaltered with its widely spaced bays, windows set close to
the eaves and traditional glazing pattern. The distinctive tower to the
rear with its careful detailing is unusual and the water closet it
houses is a particularly rare survival. It is likely that this was
added some time in the mid to late 19th century and it appears on the
Ordnance Survey map of 1893-5.
The interior layout of the farmhouse retains its traditional plan and,
as a consequence, much of its character. It is unusual to find the
survival of the demarcation between the working and polite areas of the
farmhouse so clearly indicated. At Wormit, the working areas have
boarded timber doors and flagstoned floors as well as some boarded
timber dados, whereas the polite areas have timber floors and timber
panelled doors. The dairy/larder and laundry rooms were vital ancillary
rooms which add to the interest and understanding of the farmhouse.
Ordnance Survey maps show that the farm buildings were once
considerably more extensive and formed a near-complete quadrangle
complex which included a horse mill. Although much of this does not
survive, the remaining structures include a particularly fine cartshed
and granary range.
An orchard was located to the south of the farmhouse and some fruit
trees remain along with some sections of high rubble wall.
images of Wormit Farm click on this link
But this is a cold
of the world and the family left to seek opportunity and a healthier
warmer climate. Before coming to Australia Isa knew nothing of house
work. She lived with her parents and siblings as they moved
around. Eventually settling in Koonwarra for while.. It was here she
met onion farmer Harry Prosser, and the rest is history so to speak.
After she married, home was
to be just
a large canvas tent in the open. Harry and Isa started there married on
rented land, onion farming near Koonwarrra, Victoria.
Her first child Charlie was born in this tent
during the night with the help of her mother in law who was an
experienced midwife. Eventually they moved to a proper wooden house at
Black Wood Forrest and continued to try and grow onions. Rainfall and
damp ground made this task difficult and was abandoned. An ever
increasing family (10 children) kept Isa busy and was to
reward her with a long life of family gatherings and visits. The early
1930's saw them move to Krowera where they purchased a dairy farm. The
Great depression saw them lose this farm as prices for cream tumbled.
A visit to
grandma was always rewarded with the latest news and story's from a
spreading family. Although she never lost her Scottish accent it was as
strong as many and was always pleasing to listen to with Australian
ears. She kept us in touch with each other and a sense of belonging
that greatly missed. As a small child I always loved visiting her as
she had on her shelves and walls ornaments that seemed wonderfully
strange and exotic, things not seen in the normal domestic life. This
included birds and especially talking Cockatoo's who greeted you as you
entered the house with "Hello Polly". I hope that one day I can create
such a world my grandchildren can visit.
Born Ravenscraig Villas, Wormit.
miles in length by 2 in breadth, lying near the mouth of the Tay;
having Ferryport-on-Craig on the east, Leuchars & Kilmany on
the south and Balmerino on the west. The land generally declines to the
Tay from an elevated background, and is now well cultivated, enclosed
and beautifully wooded. On the shore is Newport where there is a small
harbor and ferry station opposite to Dundee. Recently some handsome
villas have been erected on the slopes to the river, and a new road cut
to Ferryport-on-Craig. Forgan has a constant communication maintained
with the Dundee side by ferry. The Kirk of Forgan, which is situate
inland, is about 10 miles from Cupar and the like distance from St
Andrews. About one mile west from Newport is the small harbor of
Woodhaven ." from Slater's Directory, published 1852.
Forgan parish is an agricultural parish on the south shore of the River
Tay opposite Dundee. It has been the site of a ferry across the river
for several hundred years. The village of Newport grew up around the
ferry terminal. In the 1820s, the introduction of a steam ferry led to
the building of Marytown, an extension of Newport. The town grew
steadily during Victorian times. The building of the Tay (railway)
bridge at Wormit saw the growth of that part of the parish as a
commuter suburb for the middle classes of Dundee while Newport also
expanded with similar housing. The burgh was created in 1887 and Wormit
was added to it in 1902. Wormit was the first village in Scotland to
have electric light in its houses.
A settlement on the Firth of Tay in NE Fife, situated at the southern
end of the Tay Rail Bridge and lying at the western end of the
Newport-on-Tay urban area.
It developed as a Dundee commuter settlement after the opening of the
Tay Bridge in 1887. Wormit, which claims to have been the first village
in Scotland to install electricity, has a bowling club and a boating
Wormit Farm is seen below,
centre bottom Quarter. Between Naughton Rd and the Railway line
View Larger Map
Isa's Aunt Margaret
Kinnear died in great Scottish rail disaster
The Tay bridge disaster
At approximately 7:15 p.m. on the stormy night of 28 December 1879, the
central navigation spans of the Tay bridge collapsed into the Firth of
Tay at Dundee, taking with them a train, 6 carriages and 75 souls to
their fate. At the time, a gale estimated at force 10 to 11 was blowing
down the Tay estuary at right angles to the bridge. The collapse of the
bridge, only opened 19 months and passed safe by the Board of Trade,
sent shock waves through the Victorian engineering profession and